Assists in the organization and daily function of the operating room in accordance with established federal, state and accreditation standards and facility policies and procedures. Assists in overseeing patient care activities in the operating room and maintains a high standard of safety for the patient and other staff members.
- Clinical Skills
- Assesses patient/significant others understanding of disease process and need for surgical intervention.
- Performs perioperative teaching to patient/significant
- Demonstrates appropriate nursing management and intervention in the perioperative peri
- Performs preoperative patient assessment, reviews surgeon preference card, assesses equipment/supply needs, prepares operating room, ensures availability of needed supplies and equipment and proper and safe working
- Provides safe medication administration.
- Manipulates patient position appropriate to surgical intervention, using positioning aids as needed to avoid impaired circulation, respiration and postoperative pain
- Performs surgical prep per standard of care and surgeon preference.
- Handles and documents specimens per policy
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in caring for the latex sensitive
- Performs sponge, sharps and instrument counts per protocol
- Initiates corrective actions when surgical counts are incorrect
- Assures emergency equipment and supplies are available at all times
- Keeps surgical suites clean, tidy , free of soiled equipment and supplies, and properly disposed
- Uses principles of asepsis in varying
- Initiates corrective action when breaks in technique
- Current CA RN license
- 2 years of surgical experience (OR, PACU, etc.)
- Clinical Research experience preferred